Cranberry Apple Crisp
Made with Coconut Sugar
Yields: 6 servings
Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 1.5 hours
1 pound of fresh cranberries
3 large apples, cored and peeled, sliced thinly
1/2 cup of water
Small piece of fresh grated ginger
9 tablespoons coconut sugar*
Topping: (combine all, except coconut flakes)
3-4 tablespoons coconut sugar*
1 cup rolled oats
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoons nutmeg
1/2 cups walnuts
1/4 cup coconut flakes
1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Boil sugar and water for 1 minute. Add cranberries, boil for 2 minutes.
2. Turn the heat off. Add sliced apples and mix very well. Put the mixture in the baking dish. Add topping and spread it evenly. Sprinkle with coconut flakes on top.
3. Bake in a preheated oven 375 degrees for 60 minutes until the crisp becomes golden brown. Do not burn it.
4. Serve with regular or dairy-free coconut ice cream.
* Coconut sugar can be replaced by regular sugar.
Coconut sugar has a lower glycemic index than regular sugar, meaning it doesn't spike blood glucose and insulin like table sugar does.